delamination

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Rick

delamination

Post by Rick »

came back to the north country, port austin mi. and started sanding on my 64 super lancer. i noticed a 1-2 layer of delamination on the top two side planks by the transom. can this be repaired with epoxy or wood filler?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

It may be possible to reglue your planks together. You'd have to inject adhesive between the layers of veneers somehow. You'd also have to find some way to clamp it together while the adhesive cures.

Not sure what wood filler would accomplish.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Rick... I agree with Andreas... I had a couple of planks on the inside of my boat with some delamination... actually a little bit on my front deck also.

I suggest Smith's Laminating and Layup epoxy (Although, I may have used Smith's all wood glue.. both are good).... squirt it in and press the layers together... use a piece of poly to cover the area... hold everything together with blocks of wood and clamps.

I suggest getting a syringe from an animal supply (I get a few packages of a couple different sizes from Fleet Farm) Or paddle it in with a piece of popsicle stick or toothpick, depending on the area.

These dry clear, so after you remove the poly, sand and refinish, it should not be noticeable and will be very solid.

I wouldn't use any filler, based on what you describe.. getting the layers matched back together is the key.

John.