How can I avoid tear out when removing screws

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tcvc

How can I avoid tear out when removing screws

Post by tcvc »

I need to take some of the deck planking off my Thompson TVT so I can make some repairs. This had expsoed brass wood screws into mahogany tounge and groove. Everytime i try to back a screw out I get a tear out, little slivers of the wood around the screw comes off. Is there a way to avoid this??
Thanks
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Make certain that the daimeter of the screw size is clear of varnish or whatever else may be in the screw and just go slowly. Use an awl or ice pick to clear any stuff away. It may be inevitable tho.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

OK, this is just a guess, but a guess from a ole' tooling engineer. Make or find a small metal plate (washer) with a hole the exact size of the screw head. Hold the plate down tightly to the deck and remove the screw thru the hole in the plate. First clean out the hole as suggested above.
Let us know if this works
Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Excellent suggesiton Joe!

Andreas
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I am going to make the plate out of plex glass so I can see what I am doing and also see if it is causing any damage. Thanks I'll let you know how I make out.
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

Ok I got around to trying it. I made mine ouit of 1/4" plex glassso I could see what I was doing. I worked great!! I made 3 of them so I didn't have to go hunting around for it , there would always be one sitting close by. Thanks again
tcvc wrote:Sounds like a good idea to me. I am going to make the plate out of plex glass so I can see what I am doing and also see if it is causing any damage. Thanks I'll let you know how I make out.