Fixture to hold boat while flipped

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

62cruiserinc

Fixture to hold boat while flipped

Post by 62cruiserinc »

I just built this fixture to hold the 62 Cruiser Inc upside-down while I strip the paint off (sorry, its a little blurry):

The 2x6 cross pieces are cut out to hold the gunnels from spreading or squeezing together. Then there is a plywood plate (that is screwed to the 2x6) at each corner that hooks the gunnel from below so the fixture doesn't fall off as it is being turned upside-down:

I added 4 cheap pneumatic Harbor Freight wheels ($5 each) at each corner so I can push it in and out of the barn as needed. OSB gussets at each corner keep the assembly square. Each 2x6 cross piece has a board in the center that goes down to the keel and keeps the keel from moving if I press down on it while its upside down. The extra width of the fixture allows it to be the pivot point as the boat is flipped over instead of having any part of the boat possibly damaged from scraping on the ground.

With the interior removed, the boat is easily picked up by 2 people, but I will have 4-5 people to flip the boat to prevent any accidents.

Now as soon as I have time I can flip it over and start the paint removal (yuck!).

Steve
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Steve,

Looks like a nice idea for moving as needed when working on the bottom side as well as keeping things aligned.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Good Luck!

Phill
Classicboats4me

Brace Dolly !

Post by Classicboats4me »

Looks like the boat will be low to the ground. Will your back like this? 4 People will be able to lift this up on some saw horses if ness.
Ron Pistohl
1965 Thompson Sea Mate
1975 Yar-Craft Yankee
Oshkosh,Wisconsin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waddlep/show/
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Nice job! I'll likely be flipping mine after this season. Let us know how it works out and any any improvements you might decide on for the rest of us :-)
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware