Where should the seam be on window retention strip

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John Hart

Where should the seam be on window retention strip

Post by John Hart »

The vinyl/rubber white window strip is pulling away on my windshield and I need to reseat it. I am not sure that I can stretch it (maybe heat it a little) to make it all the way around... If I do have a 1/2" gap, where should that be...? Top or bottom.

Right now, I have it at the bottom so it is less visible, but I am thinking that it probably should be at the top....that way water doesn't run through an into the frame and onto the deck under the frame.

Any thoughts?
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have the same problem with my side windows. I used some white bathtub caulk and carefully filled the gap and it is hardly noticeable. This is easily removed if and when I want to remove the glass in the future. It has been on for over 2 years and still looks good.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I'd put the seam on the top or sides not the bottom. For the reason you brought up - so that water does'nt get into the gap if she's on the bottom.

There are two sources for replacement stuff if ya want new material; Rich Gauselin in the Chicago are and Tom Koroknay AKA Dr. Lyman in Ohio.

Andreas