How bad is to bad

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dreamer

How bad is to bad

Post by Dreamer »

Andreas warned me that the boat I had acquired was a Frankenstein!
The 63 Sea coaster had been "restored" previously. I say that tongue in cheek as the restoration included 1/8" to 1/4" of epoxy over the strakes and inside on the bottom blocking the drainage. As I have dismantled I have found that every rib from the dash back is rotten, (expected 13) the keel-sons are toast as is the transom. Since most of the strakes were well covered with a coat of paint and restructured with epoxy, I was unaware that removing the screws was nearly impossible without damaging the strake.
The job is starting to seem overwhelming! Since this would be my first attempt in 40 years at something with this magnitude. I must ask, is what i have encountered a normal restoration problem, or should I cut my losses?
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Bummer!!!!

Can you cut off the plank-to-rib screws from the inside? Cut and break out the bad rib and get the screw exposed and then slice it off with a hack saw blade or Dremmel tool cutter - flush with the wood. Or, drill out where the screw is countersunk from the outside of the boat using a plug cutter???? to expose the screw head and have a "nice" uniform hole to plug or putty afterwards????

I have two boats to restore that have ribs rotten from the dashboard to the transom and most if not all will need to be replaced with new wood. Both boats will need garboard planks replaced. Transom in both is rotten to the core as well and will need replacement.

So....it is possible. Just depends upon how much effort you want to put into the boat.

Andreas
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

I have cut the screws with a multi cutter and that allows me to take apart but getting the head out thru the epoxy will require lots of effort. The strakes were rotten at the point of attachment to the transom as well and the epoxy from the last repair had that hidden until I cut the screws.

I am hesitating because I have not found a source for the plywood replacement yet and I realise that my garage is going to be useless for my pickup for an extremely lonnng time. I work slowly when I work and my motivation comes and goes as well!
I was looking for a boat project, guess I have one!
Larry B
The difference between a professional and an amateur is the Professional knows how to cover his mistakes, the amateur gets another board.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

You can obtain marine plywood from Cedar Tree in Des Moines (Paul Morris). Midwest Boat Appeal in St. Bonifacius, MN (west of Lake Minnetonka) also carries marine plywood.

Andreas