gale engines

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Shaun

gale engines

Post by Shaun »

I just got a '58 Sea Lancer and it came with a 1963 Gale 60hp Gale engine. I have never even heard of Gale before but after some googling I found out more. I am assuming this is not the original engine. It hasn't been run in years but I'm wondering if it is worth keeping and using or better to get what would have been original. I would like the boat to be as original as possible. Is 60hp enough for this boat? I see a lot of mixed opinions in other posts and not sure which way to go. Also I don't know much about fixing them or tuning them up. Is there somewhere to go to find out more? I thought I saw somewhere somebody posted a forum for outboard motors but can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Shaun

JoeCB

Re: gale engines

Post by JoeCB »

That 1963 Gale is a detuned OMC V4 ( Johnson/ Evinrude). By 1963 the Jonhsons/ Evinrudes V4's were rated at 75 HP and had a new streamlined lower unit. I think that your Gale may have the old style bulbus (split case) lower unit. I also notice that it has the old 1950's style wire harness plug the OMC top line motors phased out by 1958 or so.
As for HP on your Sea Lancer, my opinion 75 HP is good (I have a 1961 75 hp Evinrude on mine) , the 60 hp Gale , espically if with the old style gear case will be a bit slugish and gas hungry.
Want more info on your motor, post at aomci.org "ask a member" . If you want to sell it there is a free "webvertize" page there as well.

Joe B
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks! I was considering getting rid of it. What brand was typical for these boats back then as far as brand? Is it more just a personal preference between Mercury, Johnson, etc or did Thompson deal with a certain manufacturer at that time?

Shaun
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

shaun,

Most of the motors would have been sold by the Dealers and not Thompson. What ever motor manufacturer the dealer handled is what would have been sold with the boat.

So as far as what make motor to use would depend on what you want on your boat or what you can find of that vintage.

Your Gale motor was most likely made in Hartford, WI. Later on Gale was bought out by Chrysler and the plant became Chrysler Outboard Motor.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

If you want to be 100% period correct you should get a 1958 outboard motor. Evinrude and Johnson had 50 HP maximum. Mercury had 70 HP (I think). The 1958 Evinrude and Johnson 50 HP are nicknamed "the fat 50" because they were fat and they guzzled fuel like crazy. The Mercury was called the "dockbuster" because it did not have a neutral.

The nice thing about outboard boats was that an owner could upgrade motors over the years. Increase HP or just change styles or to something more modern. My 1957 Thompson of Peshtigo Sea Lancer has had 4 motors on her over her life span. In 1960 a brand new Evinrude 75 HP was put on her transom (no one knows what she originally had from 1957 to 1960). In 1967 Buddy upgraded to a brand new Mercury 110 HP which was what was on her when I obtained the boat. I put the twin 1957 Johnson 35 HP motors on the transom.

Thompson did not sell outboard motors or install motors on the boats. The exception would be boats utilized for photo shoots for advertising and brochures and boats that went to shows. They had no affinity for one brand over another. Gordy Millar who was chief engineer at McCollough in Minneapolis told me that they and Thompson would swap motors and boats for mutual promotion; photo shoots for ads and brochures.... Pete Thompson told me that they sent boats from Peshtigo to Mercury's secret Lake X in Florida. Mercury would call up and ask for a 16 footer and a 17 footer or whatever to be used in testing outboard motor performance. Thompson would gladly do it. Roy Thompson told me that in the 1940s and 1950s Thompson and Cruisers had a close working relationship with OMC (Evinrude and Johnson). Grant Thompson was active in the Outboard Boating Club (OBC) along with OMC personnel.

Back to your question. 50 HP would get you up on plane and go, but not fast. If you had four folks in the boat it might be sluggish. your 60 HP Gale will probably be fine. A 75 HP OMC form the early 1960s will be fine. Same with a Mercury of similar HP form that time period.

Chrysler bought West Bend motors, not Gale, in 1965. Gale was just phased out by OMC.

http://www.amoci.org
http://www.old-omc.de
http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/

Andreas
JALL

Post by JALL »

Shaun if your Gale has a generator on it it is a rare motor. It could be worth some money. Thanks
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks! I will have to look into it. What should I look for?

Shaun
JALL

Post by JALL »

I'm don't mean a small fortune but not a motor to just dump. Does it have a generator on it? It would look like a electric starter. Do you have the electrical harness that attaches to the side of the motor? Does it run? Check out what the guys on aomci website. Take off the cover and email a picture to me at cty04197@centurytel.net THANKS
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

your motor has an electric starter and could have a generator as well. Both look like electric motors (they are electric motors) about 3-1/2 " in diameter and 7 "long. The starter will have a small gear that engages the large gear on the flywheel. The generator is driven by a thin rubber belt that has cogs... a "cog belt". I believe that the starter is on the right (starboard) side of the engine, the generator on the left (port) side. The Gale is a cool looking motor when all restored in fresh paint and decals.
Joe B
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

After taking a look at it, it does appear to have a generator. I have not run the engine yet as it is not attached to the boat but the harness is there as well and the controls are mounted in the boat. I would like to set it upright so I can work on it and test it but not sure how to do it. I tried seting it on a saw horse but was not very stable. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Shaun
JALL

Post by JALL »

How about saw horses with a 2X6 or 2X8 between the legs? It's better that 2X4's
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Well I found out it is a 1960, the first year Gale made this model. They only made the 60hp through 1963. That aomci forum is very helpful and have managed to find a few places for parts. Also have the engine upright and trying to troubleshoot it. Pulls over even though it is rather tough to pull. I am assuming that is normal though for a V4. Changed the spark plugs but would not fire even a little. Before I go spend a bunch of money replacing parts I may not need to, is there anything I should try to get it running? I saw a tuneup kit on a couple different sites. Would include fuel system, carberator kit, ignition kit, head gasket, and impeller. Is it a good idea to buy one of these kits for a motor that hasn't been run in several years? Thanks!

Shaun
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Change the water pump impellor. Do not even attempt to run her without doing this simple step.

Andreas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

I would suggest finding a manuel for your motor. That will help you when you start to take things apart.
And you might as well plan on a complete refresh of that engine.

My Thompson has twin 1957 35 hp Johnson's on it that were not run since before 1971. I got the boat in 2010. Both turned over when I got them.
Replaced the entire fuel system. Hose's, filter ,clamps. Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. Complete tune up. All new seals, bushings and impeller in the lower end with fresh gear lube. Fresh gas and in the water barrel they went.
Both started on the 3rd crank.
As long as the motor is not siezed chances are it will run fine.
Good luck and have fun.
Karl.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Received the engine manual yesterday from outboardbooks.com Very happy with it as it only covers my engine and is very detailed. This should lower my chances of making mistakes quite a bit! Now I need to order some parts and get this thing running. Thanks for all the help so far.

Shaun