Rot

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

bosshoff

Rot

Post by bosshoff »

I just investigated my stem area very closely. I knew I had some white rot, but was hoping it was only on the surface and the wood was sound. Well I went at it with a screw driver, and it is not sound. I am so deflated. The forefoot/gripe is a little discolored, but solid. Obviously If I end up replacing the stem, I would be just as easy to replace the forefoot at the same time. I spoke to a local boat restorer today about doing some work for me, and he said no problem. I could bring the boat in, and we could talk about what needs to be done, and what I can do, and what I really need to farm out to him. The thing that kills me is this boat is worth nothing. Even if it was solid, and in decent shape, it is maybe a $2,000.00 boat. How much can I reasonably spend on it? Sorry to rant, I am just depressed.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Welcome to the world of boats - any boat! Sorry to hear about the problem. Try to stay opptomistic. There is plenty of advice here on this forum and elsewhere.

The Blackhawk Chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society (www.acbs.org) is very active and there are plenty of good people there. Get in touch with them and get involved with their group. You may be able to find some assistance.

It's never fun to find problems with these old boats. But most anything can be properly repaired or replaced.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I agree with Andreas get in contact with people in the antique boating club in your area and get to know them and talk with them to get advice.

Having a boat restored by a professional is very very expensive. Doing the work yourself and with the help of friends is not inexpensive but is much less expensive the going to the pros. It is more the joy of doing the work yourself and seeing the look on peoples faces when you take your restored boat out on the lake, that is priceless.
If you are not willing to take the time or are not able to do the majority of the work yourself it is better to sell the boat to someone who has the time and ability to restore the craft. Then go out and find another boat in better shape where you do not have a lot of restoration work to get it in the water and running. They are out there and can be expensive. You can still find a great deal if you watch for them and take your time to find them. If you are unsure of what shape the boat is in take someone along that has the knowledge and knows what to look for and where the problems can be hinden. Never buy a boat unseen unless you personally know the person you are purchasing it from. Many boats are out there on Ebay and other sites and one can get stung easly.

Wood boats are an act of love of the boat, the boat builder, the style and the era they came from along with the pride of doing the work yourself.

As to what a boat is worth that is something that each individual has to figure out what he or she is willing to pay and the time to invest to have that special boat you always dreamed of having when you where a kid.

Take things slowly and learn as much as you can from reading books and talking with people who have resotored a boat or two and do not rush into it.

Good Luck,

Phill
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Speaking from personal experience - give yourself time to get over being bummed out over what you have found, then reassess what you what to do about it. When I picked up my floors, it was obvious that pretty much everything I was told about my "restored" boat was BS. I was so upset I was going to e-bay it the next day. But, I took a step back and after awhile I decided that I'd get it right myself. For me, much of the fun is in working on it, planning things, doing the research. It's a great hobby.

So I have more money and time into it than I wanted, and I've not had it in the water enjoying it as much or as soon. But when I did get it in, the fun, excitement, and the feeling of accomplishment made it all worth it.

Take it slow, let it grow! (now that's corny huh?)
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
bosshoff

Time

Post by bosshoff »

I guess for me it all comes down to time. The time I have already spent, the time I am going to need to spend, and the time I do not have. This boat has been in my extended family for 32 years. In that time I can only remember taking it out once on a trip to Lake Peppen. (Our family has other boats.) It basically sat in "dry dock" in a storage building on our property. As a kid I would look at the boat and think it would not be too hard to repair. In addition to the rotten stem/gripe, the first major issue was the mahogany decks rotting right at the seam where they meet the plywood bow. Today, the decks are off, some intermediate oak frames are cracked, I am sure some of the oak frames are incredibly brittle. The rear of the boat is hogged at the transom, the rub rails are rotted, and I pulled the plywood forward deck. I really have to pull the I/O, replace the rub rail, the coaming clamp, and deck covering boards, befre I can flip her over to work on the stem. It's hard, because I sit in the hull, and look at the craftmanship that twent into the Lapstrake hull. I see all of the beautiful angles, brass nuts and bolts, and golden varnish, and I want to get her fixed and seaworthy again. Then I just exhale and think of what a daunting task this is, and for what? The boat is not a valuable boat. Even in 100%, what could it be worth? sometimes I just think I am nuts for even screwing around with it at all. I am going to iron this out in my head.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Well, she sounds like more than a weekend project that's for sure. But, she's got the sentimental value to make her a worthwhile project over the course of the next year - set your sites on next season. It's an awesome feeling watching it come together (takes lots of pictures!)

Speaking of pictures, post a few for us if yo have the time.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware