Floor of 61 sea coaster

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dan Wolf

Floor of 61 sea coaster

Post by Dan Wolf »

I was able to take rear floor and forward floor out of the boat without any problems. There is a ctr section under front and rear facing seats. Can this be slide out removing only the screws that are in the stow away sections? I don't want to take the seats apart because they intergal with the deck. I would like to get under there and clean and see if there is any type of damage or rot. Also what can I clean the inside with to help prevent rot. A wood boat maker here in chicago said a 10% bleach solution would be good for starters. Any thoughts...Dan
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Dan,
I would also be interested in the answer to your question. I have a '60 Sea Coaster Special with back to back seats that needs a good floor cleaning. I was planning to use a product called Purple Power. It's water soluable and degradable. It disolves grease and other petroleum residues very well. Don't leave it on paint too long though because it will soften it, so it might not be too friendly to varnish if left in contact more than a minute or so.
Verne
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

I did start cleaning the hull with Murphy's oil and warm water and made a lot of progress. While I was jammed under the bow wondering how to get out. (and I know some of you guys know what I'm talking about), I decided to give the deck a good scrub with a bristle brush. It work pretty good. I am starting to think this might be the original color. I doesn't look new but good enough to maybe get out on the water. The 10% bleach solution is for the hull area and not to clean deck, just to clarify.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nothing is going to prevent rot. Bleach water may be a good cleaner and freshen up the bilge, but it will not prevent rot.

If you have rotten wood, replace the wood.

Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy sealer is a good product. But in order for it to penetrate the wood, you must remove any finishes. Again, it will not prevent rot, but it will help to seal the wood.

Andreas